The rules of the Kingdom

There are three rules in the kingdom of God that are diametrically opposed to the values of this world.
The first is Jesus is Lord. If I live in the kingdom of this world, my god can be money, suc­cess, pleasure, or power. There are people who are completely driven by the Stock Markets, opinion polls, or tam ratings. If I live in the kingdom of God, then I am driven by the person and teachings of Jesus. Are you conscious of what drives you in life? What sustains you in your living?
The second rule in the kingdom is that every person is on this earth with as much right as anyone else. The most disabled per­son is on this earth with as much right as the greatest genius that ever lived. Those who live with a worldly mind-set have no problem with abortion, euthanasia, or ethnic cleansing. Half the world is dying of hunger while the other half is on a diet, trying to get down the weight. We have all witnessed racism, bigotry, and intolerance. What a wonderful thing if I could rid my heart of all traces of such. 'Live and let live' is a good motto for living.
The third rule in the kingdom is that it is the Holy Spirit, living in me, who alone can make this possible. If I live in the world, I can get my power from social status, political clout, or bigger and better Star Wars. If I live in the kingdom, it is only possible through the power of the Holy Spirit. 'The kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours ... ' If I supply any of the power, I will be tempted to steal some of the glory. 'Learn to live and to walk in the Spirit,' says Paul.

I have a friend whose daily mantra is 'Come, Holy Spirit.' This prayer is going on in his heart all day long. It helps remind him where his power lies. Worth considering, eh?

Jack Mc Ardle
And thats the Gospel Truth
www.columba.ie

Comments

Popular Posts