Ten Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know about Pope Francis
In no particular order:
9. He loved to tango.
8. His favorite movie is Babette’s Feast.
7. He has been accused of never smiling. (Allegedly, this was part of a smear campaign by “liberal” Jesuits.)
6. Despite having studied the language in Dublin, English is the foreign language he speaks least well.
5. It will come as no surprise to learn he flew Economy Class to the Conclave that elected him pope.
4. A report states that his favorite pop song is “You Don’t Know You’re Beautiful,” by One Direction. [But why would it be in English when he doesn't speak the language well?]
3. Harley-Davidson gave him two motorbikes. They’re for Swiss Guard use, but this pope is so informal you can almost imagine him peeling out of the Vatican on one!
2. When he met the Jesuit Superior General, he told him he’d prefer that they both use the informal “Tu” instead of the formal “Usted” because they are brothers.
1. Friends in Rome tell me that the pope sometimes sneaks out of the Vatican to visit friends.
[I used the cover of Chris Lowney’s book as an illustration, but most of these facts were gleaned from the internet.]
Paul Brian Campbell, SJ Who we are is as important as what we publish.
Learn more in About This Blog.
We Wear the Maskby Paul Laurence Dunbar
We wear the mask that grins and lies, It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,— This debt we pay to human guile; With torn and bleeding hearts we smile And mouth with myriad subtleties, Why should the world be over-wise, In counting all our tears and sighs? Nay, let them only see us, while We wear the mask. We smile, but oh great Christ, our cries To thee from tortured souls arise. We sing, but oh the clay is vile Beneath our feet, and long the mile, But let the world dream otherwise, We wear the mask!- See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15888#sthash.fPJzXhGT.dpuf